Paneer Bhurji Gravy (http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/)
200 to 250 grams paneer, crumbled
2 medium onion or 1 large onion, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped onion
2 medium tomatoes or 1 large tomato, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
1 green chili, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
1 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
¼ tsp garam masala powder
3 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt/dahi
½ cup water
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves to be added first
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves to be added later
2 tbsp butter or oil
½ inch ginger, julienne for garnish
salt as required
whole garam masala or spices:
1 inch cinnamon/dalchini
2 green cardamoms/hari elaichi
5 to 6 black peppercorns/sabut kali mirch
2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta
1. Crumble 200 to 250 grams paneer and keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tbsp butter or oil in a pan.
3. Add the whole spices - 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 5 to 6 black peppercorns and 2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta. saute till the spices become aromatic.
4. Add ½ cup finely chopped onion. stir very well.
5. Saute the onions till light golden.
6. Add the chopped green chilies and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
7. Saute till the aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
8. Add ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes. stir very well.
9. Saute till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
10. Add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¼ tsp garam masala powder.
11. Stir the ground spices well.
12. Keep the flame to its lowest, and now add 3 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt.
13. As soon as you add curd, stir quickly and briskly.
then add ½ cup water and stir.
14. Add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir.
15. Bring the curry or gravy to a simmer.
16. Then add the crumbled paneer. also add salt.
17. Stir very well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
18. Switch off and add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
19. Stir very well and serve paneer bhurji gravy with chapati, roti, paratha or bread.