Beef Madras (www.food.com)
1 kg stewing beef
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon garlic
16 ounces crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 cup beef stock
1⁄2 cup red lentil
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 red chili peppers, chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon ghee
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Fry the aromatics, spices, garlic, ginger and onions together.
2. Add beef and cook briefly on all sides.
3. Add rest ingredients except cilantro/coriander.
4. Bring to the boil in pressure cooker for 2 minutes on high and then on low for 20 minutes.
5. If using oven place in dutch oven for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
6. Add chopped coriander and stir through.
7. If too wet add more tomato paste - if too dry add more beef stock.
© 2015 Just In My Curry. All rights reserved.